Free Legionella Compliance for Care Homes
Legionella Control International would like to invite care homes, nursing homes and other healthcare operators to utilise their FREE legionella compliance tool.
With care homes often accommodating residents who are considered to be at an increased risk of contracting Legionnaires’ disease, the control of legionella bacteria in such care facilities is essential.
What is Legionella and Legionnaires’ Disease?
Legionnaires’ disease is a potentially fatal pneumonia that is caused by legionella bacteria.
Legionella bacteria occur naturally in rivers and lakes and can also be found in residential and commercial water systems.
Increased Risk Factors
Care homes and other residential care facilities should pay particular attention to their legionella risk as they often have residents that exhibit at least one of the major legionella risk factors:
- Over 50 years of age
- Suffer from a chronic disease such as:
- Heart Disease
- Various respiratory conditions
It should be remembered however that everyone is susceptible to Legionnaires’ disease to some degree.
Regulation and Compliance with the Law
With care homes, nursing homes and other healthcare facilities often accommodating residents who are considered to have one or more of the risk factors of contracting Legionnaires’ disease, it is vital that management teams understand the risks associated with legionella and what is required of them in terms of complying with the law.
This self-audit checklist deals with compliance under the following documents:
- Health & Safety Executive's Approved Code of Practice & Guidance (ACOP) L8 - "Legionnaires' disease: The control of legionella bacteria in water systems".
- Health & Safety Executive: HSG274 Legionnaires’ disease: Technical guidance Parts 1, 2 & 3.
- Department of Health Estates and Facilities Division, Health Technical Memorandum 04-01: The control of Legionella, hygiene, “safe” hot water, cold water and drinking water systems (HTM 04-01).
These three documents form the basis around which the control of legionella and Legionnaires' disease related risks are managed in residential care homes.
They are enforceable under the following legislation:
- Control of Substances Hazardous to Health Regulations 2002
- Management of Health & Safety at Work Regulations 1999
- Health & Safety at Work Act 1974
Free Self-Audit Tool
To help care homes, nursing homes and other similar healthcare operators ensure that they are fully compliant with the law, and are managing their legionella risks effectively; Legionella Control International’s care sector specialists have produced a simple self-audit compliance tool especially for care sector management, facilities managers, operators and staff.
The self-audit tool is currently only available to care sector professionals, and managers and operators of such premises.
To receive your free self-audit tool, please complete and submit the following form:
All fields marked (*) are required
Expert Care Home & Health Sector Assistance
For further information and expert assistance regarding legionella compliance issues affecting care homes please call us on 0161 877 0586 (Manchester) or 0203 637 47 48 (London) to speak to one of our health sector specialists.
Tel: 0161 877 0586
Tel: 0203 637 47 48