Ken Ashley – Senior Consultant
Ken Ashley has worked in the field of microbiology since graduating from Liverpool University with an Honours Degree in Microbiology in 1970. He was later awarded a M.Sc. in Microbiology by dissertation, again from Liverpool University. Ken is a Chartered Biologist.
During his career Ken Ashley has lectured at Liverpool Polytechnic and was Scientific Director of a microbiological diagnostics company. In1991 he joined the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) as HM Specialist Inspector of Health and Safety. During Ken’s time with HSE he attended to give advice at all the large outbreaks of Legionnaires’ disease in the UK, was the lead author of the Legionella Approved Code of Practice L8 (2001).
Ken also acted as an expert witness for a number of HSE prosecutions and for the Crown when prosecuting for manslaughter alleged to have been caused by Legionnaires’ disease e.g. in The Barrow outbreak. He now acts in a similar role for plaintiffs following cases of Legionnaires’ disease and presently is acting for the Scottish Legal Aid Board representing the plaintiffs following the 2012 Edinburgh outbreak.
Ken’s specialist services cover both training and specialist consultancy in all aspects of Health and Safety with regard to Legionella risk. For example:
- Training courses for all levels of staff in Legionella risk management.
- Directors, executives and senior managers are trained in understanding Legionnaires’ disease, their legal duties, how to comply with them and their importance with regard to corporate manslaughter (corporate killing).
- Other staff would be given more practical training in how to comply with the duties imposed by the Legionella Approved Code of Practice (L8).
- Training in understanding and the relevance of the 2013/2014 Legionella AcoP and HSG274.
Legionella Consulting Services
- Practical advice given with regard to an occupiers’ compliance with health and safety law and particularly L8, the Approved Code of Practice and HSG274 to control risks from Legionella bacteria.
- Advice to those that provide services to assist occupiers in AcoP L8 and HSG274 compliance in order to ensure that they too, as service providers, are complying with their legal duties.
- Ensuring occupiers and service providers can respond appropriately with effective practical solutions to a ‘crisis’ and provide suitable information to assist the enforcing authorities when required to do so.
Expert Legionella Assistance
For further information and expert assistance regarding legionella risk management and compliance issues please call 0330 223 36 86 to speak to one of our specialist advisors or send your questions to us here … contact us →