Legionella Awareness: Hot & Cold Water & Evaporative Cooling – LCA9001
LCA 9001 is a City & Guilds accredited one day classroom based legionella awareness training course designed specifically for candidates who require an introduction to Legionnaires’ disease and the control of legionella bacteria in hot and cold water services, cooling towers and other evaporative cooling systems in accordance with the Health & Safety Executive’s Approved Code of Practice ACOP L8 “Legionnaires’ disease: Control of legionella bacteria in water systems”.
Who Should Attend?
This training course is ideal for candidates who require an introduction to Legionnaires’ disease and matters concerning the control of legionella bacteria in hot and cold water services, cooling towers and other evaporative cooling systems in accordance the HSE’s ACOP L8.
Typical candidates will be health and safety managers, building owners, facilities managers, operators of cooling towers, maintenance and engineering contractors, and those with responsibility for the safe storage of water and safe operation of such water systems including cooling towers.
Please note that this awareness course (LCA 9001) on its own is not sufficient for candidates who have been appointed the “Responsible Person”, you should refer to our detailed courses LCA 9011 and LCA 9013.
This course will give candidates an overview of both the current regulatory framework and those steps required to achieve compliance with the law.
The course will also help candidates identify the risks presented by legionella bacteria in hot and cold water services, cooling towers and other evaporative cooling systems.
Additionally, candidates will develop an understanding of how to assess and pro-actively manage those risks in accordance with the HSE’s ACOP L8, and the health and safety guidance documents HSG274 Parts 1 and 2.
Course Pre-Qualification Requirements
None, although prior knowledge of health and safety management, engineered water systems and issues dealing with the control of legionella risks would be of benefit.
Legionella Course Content
- Knowledge of the origins of Legionnaires’ disease, legionella bacteria and the multiplication factors which allow it to proliferate in engineered water systems.
- Identification of the main conditions that are required for legionella associated infection to take place and how this understanding may be used to manage and control risk more effectively.
- Awareness of current legal requirements, approved codes of practice and best practice guidance including COSHH, the HSE’s ACOP L8 and HSG274 Parts 1 and 2.
- Basic design of hot and cold water systems and their components.
- Basic design of evaporative cooling systems including cooling towers.
- Implementation of legionella control regimes with suitable monitoring programmes and records as identified in the Health & Safety Executives technical guidance documents HSG274 Parts 1 and 2 dealing with the control of legionella bacteria in both “hot and cold water systems” and “evaporative cooling systems“.
- The written scheme of control.
- General awareness of the risk assessment processes as defined in BS 8580-1.
- Examination – assessment and test of competence.
- Discussion and feedback.
On successful completion of this course candidates will receive a City & Guilds “Certificate of Attainment” for this course.
This certificate should be retained as evidence of formal training in this subject.
Training Course Dates
For details of all public training courses, dates and venues please select the following link … training dates and venues
For additional information or to book a course …
** Covid-19 precautions currently in place for all classroom courses
Precautions follow government recommendations and may be subject to change.
- All classrooms cleaned prior to use.
- Larger classrooms.
- Fewer candidates per training session.
- 2m separation between all candidates.
- Sanitising hand gel available in all classrooms.
- Refreshments brought in to classroom.
- Individual lunch pre-ordered and delivered to classroom.
- Anyone exhibiting symptoms of Covid-19, including high temperature will be asked to postpone their course.
For further information about this legionella awareness training course or to make a booking please contact our dedicated training team on +44 (0) 330 223 36 86 or get in touch here … contact us