HTM 01-05 – Legionella Risk Assessments for Dental Practices
Legionella Control International’s guide to legionella risk assessments for dental practices has been prepared to help those involved in the provision of dental services, including dentists, dental support staff and service engineers to understand more about legionella risk assessments including whether you need one, and what is involved if you do.
A legionella risk assessment is an essential risk management process and comprises a detailed examination of the risks presented by man-made water systems, and seeks to identify and assess the risks of exposure to legionella bacteria.
- What is Legionnaires’ disease?
- Where do Legionella bacteria come from?
- What is a legionella risk assessment?
- Do I need a risk assessment?
- Who can carry out my risk assessment?
- Where are the greatest risks?
- Are there any areas that are exempt from the need for a risk assessment?
- Do I need to keep records?
- Is training required?
- How often should I review my risk assessment?
- Do I have any other obligations?
- Where can I get further assistance?
Legionella Risk Assessment
In the UK, all dental premises are required to have a written scheme and a legionella risk assessment for controlling any identified risks in accordance with the Health & Safety Executives Approved Code of Practice document L8.
The HSE’s ACOP L8 is further supported by the Department of Health’s guidance documents:
- Health Technical Memorandum 01-05: Decontamination in Primary Care Dental Practices (HTM01-05)
- Health Technical Memorandum 04-01: Safe water in healthcare premises (HTM04-01)
Compliance with HTM01-05 and HTM04-01 will satisfy the requirements of the HSE’s ACOP L8.
Our guide to legionella risk assessments for dental practices is currently only available to recognised UK dental practices and dental practitioners.
To receive a full copy of this guide call us today on 0330 223 36 86 or get in touch here … contact us
Expert legionella assistance
For further information and expert assistance regarding legionella risk management and compliance issues call us today on 0330 223 36 86 or get in touch here … contact us